Good morning guys!!!
I hope you all are having an amazing week so far! I am really excited to share this post with you guys because I always get so many questions about tofu and I wanted to have something in writing I can refer people to when they are ready to add tofu to their diets.
Like brussle sprouts, tofu has a bad rep. I hear all the time that “It taste like air” “it’s so gross” “The consistency is awful” “I’ll just stick to chicken” Believe me guys, I get it! My first tofu experience was awful, I thought it deserved a spot on my ‘Worse things I have ever tasted’ list. But for some reason, I really felt like I needed to give it another shot and I am happy I did! I now LOVE tofu and honestly would shed real tears if it ever became extinct. I found a way to make tofu work and if you are new to the tofu world or a non-believer I think I can help you make it work too! So here’s a few things….
Go extra Firm! (thank me later)
You guys I am telling you extra firm tofu will be your best friend! Now, of course the tofu is not the same consistency as chicken and it still is “soft” but it is 100 times better than firm or soft tofu. Never trust a person who eats soft tofu…something is not right there! Haha. In all honesty though, if consistency is a big thing for you, definitely go with extra firm tofu. Personally, I really love using Nasoya Organic extra firm tofu but you can experiment with different brands to see which you like best.
Rules When Cooking Tofu
One thing I literally always tell people about tofu is that it taste like whatever you cook it with! Think of it as a blank canvas, you have to add flavor and color and love to your tofu to create a beautiful work of art! I have done everything from sauteing, frying, baking and steaming tofu to creating tofu burgers and sausages! It really is a great base for some of my most proud recipes! There are a few things to remember when cooking with tofu:
- Tofu is full of water, so make sure you let it drain on a paper towel for a few minutes before cooking it to get some of that water out. You can sightly pat it but DO NOT squeeze it because you will crumbling it.
- Treat your tofu like its chicken! My rule of thumb is whatever you can do to chicken, you can do to tofu!
- Do not be shy with seasoning, again, tofu is bland on its own, add tons of seasoning it give it life!
- First timer? Fry it! No matter how healthy we are, we all know everything fried is delicious! When I gave tofu a second chance, I actually tried it fried and have been hooked ever since! Don’t deep fry it though, you can pan fry with just a little oil or bread it and bake it in the oven until crispy like it was fried.
- Don’t give up! I can sit here and tell you it is easy to make tofu taste amazing but it will take some trial and error before you get it just right! I personally had to make sesame tofu 5 times before I perfected it!
In all, tofu really is great guys and there is no reason to fear it or be intimidated by it. I know it is not for everyone but if you have never tried it or have tried it once but didn’t like it, I encourage you to give it try! I have tons of tofu recipes in my back pocket so if you would like me to share some let me know!
Until next time,